Popular Cat Names. The Best (and questionable) Names for your Feline Friends.
Over 5,000 years ago the ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as Gods, and with over 23% of Australian households owning a cat (*Source) it seems that the love of cats continues through the ages.
A wiki page on popular cat names reveals a myriad of names across a variety of countries and territories. Trying to distinguish which is truly the most popular is a matter of opinion…and geography.
For the sake of this article, the borders have been removed and territories ignored as we investigate the truly strange, unique, odd, funny, and at times obscure names given to our feline friends.
Top 10 most popular male and female cat names
The best cat names, statistically speaking of course.
|Most Popular Female Cat Names
||Most Popular Male Cat Names
List Courtesy of cuteness.com and is current as of 2015
Top 10 most obscure male and female cat names
The odd, the strange, the weird, funny, and the downright obscure.
- Clawed Monet. Ddon’t confuse him with the artists Claude Monet or Edouard Manett!
- Poo-Purr. Wonder if there’s a sibling called Scoo?
- Queen Bella of Catotopia. Whose national beverage is catatonic?
- Foxy Cleopatra. The name of Beyonce’s character in Austin Powers – actually it sort of works as a cat name.
- Senor Fluffy-Butt. Or Mr Fluffy-Butt?
- Nina Simone (…and I’m Feline Good). I can see where the owner was going with this.
- Edward Scissorpaws. Clever inspiration from the movies.
- Archie the Magical Rhino.Is this for acat or African mammal?
- Hot Dog the Mystical Raccoon. This one has me slightly confused but definitely intrigued.
- Cat Stevens, Paul McCatney or Kitty Purry.
Top 10 most hilarious male and female cat names
The funny cat names, the clever ones, the ones that make us smile.
- Sir Lix-a-lot
- MC Glamour
- Chairman Meow
- Slinky Malinky
- Mr. Tiddybomboms
- Scratchus Maximus
- Oreo or TimTam or simply Biscuit.
- Snooty Von Catsbum (for the aristo-cat)
- Admiral Snugglesworth (for the aristo-cat)
- Felix Navidad (for the cat that LOVES Christmas)
There you have the top 10 cat names by popularity and quirkiness.
Other great cat names
A lot of really clever and unique cat names are based on certain physical features or personality traits that cats display. A cat that loves garbage would be well suited to a name like Oscar the Grouch, while a self-obsessed and clean cat would be better suited to a name like Snooty Von Catsbum for example.
There are of course a myriad of other unusual names out there for our feline friends. All comments and judgements in this article are the author’s own. Have fun naming your cat and hopefully this list can help you come up with one just as suitably quirky and unique.