Our infographic shows you which pet wins when it comes to Australian households, with some interesting statistical costs of having a pet over a life time.
Which animal comes out on top?
- There are 4.2 million pet dogs in Australia
- That’s 19 dogs for every 100 people.
- 3.3 million cats in Australia
- That’s 15 cats for every household
The most popular name for both female cats and dogs is Bella
- The most popular male dog name is Buddy
- The most popular male cat name is Tigger
Australians spend big on their pets with an estimated $1.2 Billion spent each year on pet care services.
- Boarding and minding
- Pet insurance
- Training and behaviour therapy
Australian’s spend an extra $3 Billion on pet food each year
And $1.7 Billion on veterinary services each year.